A market has been operating in near this location since at
least 1780s when it was a dairy farmer's market for the
trading of milk and other dairy products.
Originally it was named Kärntnertormarkt which was
because of the bridge which was at that time called
Kärntnertorbrücke, but is now Elisabethbrücke, later it
spread along to reach Karlsplatz to the the area now beside
the Vienna University of Technology.
Later this market was the officially fruit and vegetable
market for imported goods not arriving along the Donaukanal
When the cities second river was roofed over more than
100 years ago it was on the long wide plaza created by this
that the market which we now know was formed.
It was not until 1905 that the current name became
official with in 1910 more than 100 stalls being built of a
standard design along the street. In the 1980s the
market was modernized but many of the traditional buildings
Do you know:
Today it is located in the 6th Viennese district called
Mariahilf but geographically it straddles the border between
the 4th and 6th districts but to ease management the border
was moved to allow the whole market to be in Mariahilf!